Irreverent Mama

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Leaf Shadows!


The pleasures of fall are many. The rich, tawny glow of the light in the afternoon. The brilliance of the trees. The swoosh of the leaves underfoot. (Can you resist kicking through the drifts, crackling swirls of brown and orange and scarlet and yellow about your ankles? I can't.)

Less vibrant, but equally delightful, are the subtle negatives of leaves on a sidewalk. Aren't they amazing? Couldn't you just lose yourself in the depths?


Like a small child, I wander with my eyes firmly fixed on the ground before my feet, seeing the patterns, the shapes, the layers, the depth. Lovely.

Here we have the shadows and the Real Thing.


And then, with more rain, they drrriiffft away. Just like summer...

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • cool post... I've never consciously noticed the negatives of leaves on sidewalks before. Thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 p.m.  

  • ahhh. that is really nice...makes me want to sit on the curb w/ some hot tea and a blanket, and watch.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:36 p.m.  

  • I've never seen anything like that before - it's beautiful and I'm impressed!

    By Blogger f:lux, at 3:02 p.m.  

  • Was thinking how much I liked leaves as I was going thru High park yesterday. Colour. Smell...

    Nice Poetry here Irreverent Mama.

    By Blogger crazymumma, at 11:52 p.m.  

  • Cinnamon - You're welcome. It's nice to suddenly *see* something you'd never noticed before. I only saw these things recently, and now I can't not see them. It's great.

    Anonymous - hot tea, or even more seasonally, hot cider! Today's Saturday, maybe I'll spend an hour doing that this afternoon. (And then the neighbours will be confirmed in their worries about me...) :-)

    f:lux - Art that you walk upon. I usually walk head up, which probably explains why it took me so many years to *see* these things, but these days my gaze is on the ground.

    Crazymumma - Poetry? Did I write poetry? How about that! I have some happy memories of wandering through High Park, years ago. Something to do next time I'm in Toronto!

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 10:03 a.m.  

  • testing...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home