Irreverent Mama

Sunday, October 01, 2006

My Man has a way with the ladies.

Truly, he does. He's not particularly tall. Well, really, he's kinda short - only an inch taller than me. He doesn't have a particularly masculine voice, if you measure that in depth. His speaking voice is light, he sings tenor. He's not particularly built. Great ass and legs, because he runs, but too much of a wee little pot belly and not enough arms and shoulder muscles to have women swooning in his wake.

But he does have a way with the distaff. Why? How?

Because he listens.

We were walking downtown together today, braving the drizzle for the pleasure of a long walk and talk, and some coffee at the end.

"Joanne was telling me about her nanny troubles. Her husband is off with his company for four months, and the day before he was to leave, their nanny got seriously ill and was hospitalized. She won't be able to work again for months, and so Joanne was scrambling to..."

The story goes on. An interesting one, too, but irrelevant to my tale. Joanne is a new name, but the scenario is familiar. Helene tells him her concerns about her grandchild; Theresa talks about her ex; Caro about her job issues; Renee about her long-distance relationship; Jocelyn about her cats.

"So you've accumulated another one, have you?" I grin at him.

"Seems so. She just drifts by my desk several times a week, and she tells me all sorts of stuff."

"And it's interesting, too."

"I know, but why me? Not that I mind, but what is it that people know I'm a good candidate for confidences?"

"Women, you mean."

"Well, yeah, but I think that's only because men don't tend to confide. How do the women know?"

"It's because you're such a good listener. When someone speaks to you, you make eye contact, and you really attend to them. Everyone wants to feel heard. Who can resist?"

"You're probably right."

"Irresistable, that's you!"

"You think? I dunno. In all this time not one of them has ever offered to go down on me."

"Oh, poor you! SUCH a hard...life you have."

Heh.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Ha ha! Great post! You two are lucky to have one another, I think. Your guy sounds like the brother to Fearless Husband. There really is something about a man who *listens*!

    By Blogger Carolie, at 5:44 p.m.  

  • oooohhhhh, nothing like a man who listens.

    Re Denguy? Ya, looks like he could make a fortune....

    By Blogger crazymumma, at 6:03 p.m.  

  • love it. a man who listens well is ultra sexy. score one for you.

    By Blogger Girlplustwo, at 9:27 p.m.  

  • Wow, sounds like your husband has the same superpowers that I do. I don't know what it is, but people meet me and start confiding in me within 5 minutes, it seems.

    Plus, all animals love me, as do children. Even when I couldn't STAND kids (before I had my own) little ones would wander up to me in malls and just hug my legs. Bewildered parents would walk up and apologize: "I'm sorry, she NEVER likes strangers! It's bizarre."

    Now if I could only use my power to get women!

    By Blogger Karl, at 11:38 a.m.  

  • Carolie - yes, we are. He's a great guy.

    Crazymumma - it's true about the men who listen, but you know? Even though women *say* they want the caring, emotionally sensitive, listening type, I've noticed that most women don't really go for that type until solidly into their thirties. Funny, that.

    Jen - Yup. Took me years in a HORRIBLE marriage to figure it out, but I did much better the second time round!

    Karl - Hey, there! So the kids like you, the animals like you, but the women just don't latch right onto your charms? What is WRONG with women these days?

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 6:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home