Irreverent Mama

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

"I win, I win!" she cried jubilantly. And, it appears, prematurely.

I've been popping into the bank every couple of days since the first of July, trying to ensure the child support cheque my ex so reluctantly provided would clear. You can do that, you know: show the cheque to the teller and ask if there are funds in the account to cover the cheque. They can't tell you the balance, of course, but they can either proceed to deposit, or hand it back.

They kept handing it back. "Sorry, I can't do that for you today."

Yesterday, however, the nice teller looked genuinely remorseful as she said, "I won't be able to do that. You'll have to talk to Mr. Arsehole."

I considered the implications of this. "No one's said that to me before. Has he put a stop on this cheque?"

"I can't tell you that." (Why not, I wonder? Surely, as that affects me directly, I have a right to know?) "You just need to talk to Mr. Arsehole."

He's put a stop on the damned cheque!

I know why, too. He wanted to "discuss" this in May, and I forced the cheques out of him. I was able to cash June's, but since then he's stewed about it. He wanted a "discussion", and damnit, he's going to have that discussion. He puts a stop on the cheque to try to force me to talk to him. There is no point to that. We've been down that road, he and I: last time we "talked" about child support, after six months - six months - of mediation, he still hadn't tabled a figure! After six months - because no one can accuse me of impatience here - I hired a lawyer. The matter was settled inside three weeks. Six months and holding vs. under three weeks.

Ridiculous. Lesson learned. There will be no further "discussion" of this sort with this man.

I got home from the bank, and I called my lawyer.

Arsehole. He is such an arsehole.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Umm...just FYI...writing a check when you don't have enough money in the account is FRAUD. Yup, fraud. Most people are not prosecuted for fraud, but it's no misdemeanor.

    Go get 'im! What a jerk!

    By Blogger Carolie, at 9:49 a.m.  

  • Oh, I'm fairly confident that in the past when there hasn't been money in the account for the date of the cheque, it's been disorganization, not malice. He has ever been terrible with money; no reason that should change with the divorce.

    However, this time he's told the bank not to release the funds. Jerk is right.

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 11:43 a.m.  

  • He IS a jerk, I quite agree - who doesn't want to help support their own child? I never get how people can be so selfish as to want to leave the other person holding the care and feeding responsibilities AND the money problems. Pick up something, already - it's not like you had nothing to do with it, buster!

    By Blogger kittenpie, at 12:45 p.m.  

  • I agree with kittenpie. He's harming his children so he can "win" in the battle for control with you.

    Kudos to you for being the woman you are!

    By Blogger Carolie, at 12:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home