Irreverent Mama

Monday, July 03, 2006

Chain mail. Don't you just love it? How about those chain letters with supernatural bribery at the end? "Send this to five people in the next five minutes and your wish will come true in 1 day. Send it to ten people in five minutes, and your wish will come true in half an hour."

Pathetic how people fall for this stuff. Everyone knows it's nonsense. Look at me: Even with TWENTY recipients in THREE minutes, my ex is still alive. No lightning, not even a bus, and no big insurance payout for me. See? Arrant nonsense. Why do people succumb?

Today I received a forward in support of a worthy cause. Really, a worthy cause, which is why it will remained unnamed so as not to sully its merits by revealing its tactics.

It was a poem. No, it was a POE-WEM. Ahem. The beloved daughter of an about-to-be-bereaved mother lays bleeding on the pavement, composing for said mother, with her last dying breaths, the most dreadful doggerel going, in which she wonders why other teens didn't heed their mothers' good advice, and so spared her life from its untimely end. Her dying breaths went on for a cruelly long time, given the number of stanzas the poor girl was able to churn out, back of her hand to her pale brow.

It was followed by a petition. We were urged to sign it, then to forward it, and if we didn't?

If you receive this petition and do >nothing but delete it, your
>selfishness knows no bounds.


Because if you can't sway people with maudlin sentiment, then you can always try insults!

Of course I deleted it.

Truly selfish, I know, to spare my friends saccharine Victorian tripe. I hang my head in shame.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • I hate chain mail...I delete it and I have told anyone who forwards the stuff to me that their life is in my hands......Anne

    By Blogger crazymumma, at 9:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home