Irreverent Mama

Monday, April 02, 2007

Came across a blog this morning. Fellow was introducing the meme he was about to do.

Said, "This is so gay".

What does that mean? What a bizarre thing to say. It's obviously some kind of insult, a slight. He's apparently feeling a bit silly about doing a meme. Being vaguely aware that he's said something potentially insulting, or maybe to try to prove he's not a homophobic asshole, he added immediately, "Not that there's anything wrong with THAT!"

If there's nothing wrong with being gay, you dork, why are you using it as an insult?

"This is so gay."

It carries as much meaning as... oh... "This is so tree."
"Can you believe how cloud that was??"
"God. She's just thinks she's so curtainrod."


Yeesh.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • You know, it's strange--the words we use.

    When I was a kid, my friends and I would insult each other with "gay" and "fag" all the time. This was before we were old enough to understand the meanings of these words. To us, "gay" meant "dumb", and "fag" meant "jerk".

    I try not to do this anymore, as I now see its effect on people. I really hear it, too, take it from me: some one who has his masculinity questioned nearly every day.

    When will we all grow up?

    By Blogger 11111111, at 2:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home