Irreverent Mama

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Wal-Mart.

Everyone loves to hate Wal-Mart. Well, everyone of my education level and social class. Everyone in my neighbourhood. All my friends. We all hate Wal-Mart. We mock the low-brow, blue-collar types who shop there. No social conscience among Wal-Mart shoppers! We hate its bullying ways, its negative effect on bookstores. There's something about its corporate practices that invites censure, but I confess I've never really gotten the gist of that. I haven't gotten the gist because I tend to ease out of these conversations. Because, you see...

I have a secret. I shop at Wal-Mart. Yes, I do.

Every time I sneak down to the south end of the city, I am guiltily aware that I am supporting the commercial rape of Canada. (Or something.) I breathe a sigh of relief once I'm through the doors, because I am fully confident I will not meet any of my friends in here! (I never have. But if I did, our shared guilty secret would ensure discretion.)

I sneak the bags back home under cover of darkness, or pretend that it's only environmental delicacy that has me bringing cloth bags...

Thing is, my partner and I, between the two of us, have some eight children. Eight, on one and a half incomes. (One and a half because he send just about half of his after-tax income to his ex. to support his portion of all those masses of children.)

I do shop at Walmart because we like little luxuries like... oh, affordable shoes for that many feet. Or, shoes AND food AND mortgage - all in the same month!

We're not poor. We feed, house, and clothe our children, and they also get luxuries like drama classes and flute lessons. But, unlike my neighbours, we know these are luxuries - and without things like inexpensive shoes, we couldn't have them.

So, yeah, I shop at Wal-Mart sometimes. I'm quiet, I'm discreet, and I don't indulge too often, but.. yes. I do. And the thing I really, really can't tell my friends?

I'm kind of grateful to Wal-Mart for the shoes.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Hi, I made it here finally. Am a allowed to blogroll you?

    By Blogger Mrs. Falkenberg, at 8:57 p.m.  

  • Ugh! How could you? Honestly!

    Funny post, though, even if you do shop at Mal-Wart.

    By Blogger 11111111, at 9:13 p.m.  

  • I totally shop at WalMart. And I come from the same social circle that looks down on those things.

    Not all the time, not for everything, but I shop there.

    Here's a tip so that you can shop at WalMart and support a Canadian department store: Zellers price matches. So, if the WalMart price is cheaper, I got over to Zellers and have them match the price. Cheap goods with a clear conscience.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 a.m.  

  • What's the big deal with Wal-Mart? Am I missing something here?

    I shop wherever it's convenient and/or cheapest. I don't give a hoot who owns the store - globalisation is here to stay and I accept it.

    And snobbery about a shop? Oh wow...that's weird. Really can't understand it..no critcising you at all - just curious and intrigued. I think the mentality here is completely different.

    By Blogger y.Wendy.y, at 12:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home