Irreverent Mama

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Normally I am a quiet, understated, and overall kindly person. Four or five days a month? A transformation occurs. That PMS thing I so loved to mock when I was a young and symptom-free woman? It's hit, with a vengeance, these last few years. Coming as it has so late in the game, I am mature enough that I don't take it out on the people around me. I just get quieter, following my gran's sage advice, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Quiet, but not silent. I mutter. Quietly. When I'm alone. Mutter, mutter, mutter.

It's Sunday of a weekend when the stepkids have been here, bringing the household total of teens to six(ish). Join with me, if you will, on a pre-menstrual, muttered, tour of my home.

Laundry room:
What moron left a kleenex in their pocket?
My, GOD, look at these underwear. That girl's ass is IMMENSE.
Three odd socks. Again. Bah.

Kitchen:
Why am I the ONLY person who ever notices the Britta needs to be refilled? Ever?
Ants? Again?
Another damned puddle by the fridge! God, I wish we could afford a new one.
Who has been using their socks to wipe up the fridge puddle?
And if they want to do that, can't they put the sock in the laundry?
And why only one sock?
Which ridiculous child is walking around wearing one sock? And when I find you, you little fucker...

Living Room:
Why is wrong with the couch cushions?
Why are they askew like that?
Ah. Because we are storing dirty socks under there. Of course!
What is that stench?
Ah. Why did I ever agree to a hamster?
'It's okay, mummy. I'll keep it clean, I promise.' HA.

Dining Room:
For the love of Pete. Is the six feet to the kitchen sink too far to take the dirty plates?
Why is there a sock in this glass? Why?
Who puts a sock in a glass half-full of water? Guess I could be grateful it's not milk...

Front Hall:
Is is truly that difficult to place shoes on the rack rather than kick them off in a heap? It couldn't be that hard, since someone's managed to get a sock on one shelf. Two socks. No, three.
When do teenagers' feet stop growing?
Any why do they stink so fucking much?
Why are there socks on the shoe rack?

Bathroom:
What the fuck is this, a breeding program for towels?!?
Must be, and here's how: Place damp towels on bathroom floor, at least four to a heap, making sure to leave the light on and fan off for maximum growth, and a couple of dirty (and odd) socks as fertilizer.
Who didn't pull the shower curtain to? Not to worry, though - all those towels and socks are sucking up the excess, no problem.
Do they not realize what the strainer is for? So why is it on the side of the tub and I'm pulling foot-long hanks of slimy hair from the drain?

Can they not, even once, leave the fucking seat DOWN?

And put the new roll ON the spindle, not perched precariously on the side of the sink, where it will almost certainly fall into the toi -- damn! Where it now floats alongside someone's purple toothbrush. Lovely. You know what? I think I'll just put the toothbrush back in the cup and say nothing. Serve 'em right.

Bedrooms:
I'm speechless. Nothing to be done but close the door.
And turn off the damned lights!

My room:
WHERE is the garbage can?
Who walked off with the garbage can from MY bedroom?
And WHY?

Why is there a dirty sock on my pillow? Whose is it?

Children. Who'd want to have children? Biology's a bitch. That damned biological imperative, I tell you...

AND WHAT IS WITH THE FUCKING SOCKS EVERY FUCKING WHERE???

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • Haha, that's hilarious. My mom's got a thing with the socks too.

    By Blogger thethinker, at 11:39 a.m.  

  • Ahem. If your mom's not the one leaving socks all over the house, I don't think she's the one with the sock thing... LMAO

    -Laura

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 1:30 p.m.  

  • I am with you - its with a certain amount of guilty relief thatI am looking forward to tomorrow and the return of my boys to their father for the week..it's been a very very hard day. Broken things, cheeking me, fighting....too much...I'd like to throw them into bed right now.

    I threw away 13 unpaired socks last week. 13!

    By Blogger y.Wendy.y, at 2:24 p.m.  

  • Nothing to do with PMS - since when did teenage boys get PMS? - but everything to do with kids!

    Oh god yes, the dirty plate thing, the towel thing... and the mumbling.

    But the random stinky sock on your pillow has to be a hanging offence?

    By Blogger f:lux, at 6:02 p.m.  

  • Well, the socks are clearly the problem, so your only solution is to just get rid of all the socks!

    By Blogger c, at 1:28 p.m.  

  • I'm sorry I think I just pee'd from laughter...

    PMS or not... That is my nightmare that you are living over on the other side of that computer screen...

    By Blogger Pendullum, at 10:51 a.m.  

  • Holy crap that's funny.

    By Blogger 11111111, at 9:48 p.m.  

  • ah, i enjoyed that, maybe cos it wasnt me saying it for once! xxx

    By Blogger jenny, at 3:06 p.m.  

  • Oh, the socks!! And the towel breeding ground!! So true. Absolutely true.

    By Blogger Daisy, at 10:49 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home