Irreverent Mama

Friday, June 09, 2006

Aging gracefully. I think it's time.

Not that so far I've been one of those pathetic clutchers of a fading youth who shop at the same stores as her teens and accepts as cool and desirable only the things that they admire. I pretty much hated being a teen the first time through. I have no desire to remain there the rest of my life.

But I'm female and I'm a little vain. I like to look good. I like to garner attention. However, I'm also of a pragmatic bent and kind of lazy. Fighting the forces of maturity - that takes a LOT of effort. Apart from a predilection for lingerie (mmm...lace and silk and lift and swish) I'm not the sort of woman who likes to fuss. I wear make-up on a weekly, not a daily, basis. I don't have the funds for routine salon visits, nor for a fancy wardrobe, and I'm too practical to pine for what I can't have.

I like my age. I don't want to be in my twenties again. I don't even pine for my peak physical year - which was 34, oooobaby. I like the crinkles at the corner of my eyes. I miss the tightness of my more youthful skin, but the softening I begin to see has its own attraction. If looking twenty meant I had to be twenty, to think twenty again - I shy away in horror at the very thought. Never!

So, aging gracefully it is. My first project? My hair.

I have shoulder-length hair, currently "light medium brown", as per the description on the box. When it grows out, what colour will it be? Not sure. Grayer than now, I know that, but beyond that? No idea.

If the difference between dyed and undyed is so striking that I end up with that vile demarcation line along the side of my head, I may find myself in the odd position of going to a salon to get my head dyed grey on purpose. How often do they see that, I wonder?

Once it's grey, if it is grey, can I keep it long, or will that look silly? And will I decide to go back to brown? Who knows? I only know that I am very tired of fussing over it...

So, I am making my official announcement: Nice and Easy will have to do without my financial support hereafter. I am herewith Going Grey. Or as grey as I get at this stage, whatever that is.

Unless I really hate it.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • It's silver. You are going silver.

    Silver sounds way sexier than grey if you ask me.

    By Blogger The Silent K, at 8:58 p.m.  

  • If you find an odd demarcation line, I would go with some subtle streaking just to blend it as it grows out, and then thin out the streaks until they are gone. Just in the interests of looking good through the whole process - as I am finding out this year, it takes for-freaking-ever to grow out hair.

    By Blogger kittenpie, at 6:00 p.m.  

  • Krista: Silver. I like that. So far, that seems to be what I'm getting, too. There's more of it around the top of my head than the sides, and the effect is a nice brightening. I hope the effect carries on as there is increasingly more of it!

    Kittenpie: Oh, good thought! Steaking would be great camouflage, and as I've discovered in the past, lasts a lot longer than a standard dye job. I'll keep this tip in mind. Thanks.

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 6:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home