Irreverent Mama

Friday, April 07, 2006

What is with all these mommy bloggers trashing their mothers?

Everywhere I've been this week, women are dissing other women. Because, face it, your mother is a woman. Not only that, she's a fellow-mother. What makes it all right to mock and deride her publicly?

Now, some of these women appear to have legitimate grievances, but you know what? These women are treating difficult people respectfully; they're not white-washing their mothers' flaws, but they're not being nasty, either. These respectful straight-talkers are in the minority. Most of them - by far the majority - are merely whining and sneering in a nasty, early-adolescent way at older women who are doing their best by their daughters. Who, presumably, have done their best since the day they gave them birth.

Do these whining women not realize that one day their children will be their age, and they will be their mothers' age? Do they not realize that their very own sweet little darlings will treat them the way they have seen mommy treat gramma? Do they not realize that their mother is a woman and a mother, imperfect but trying hard, just as they are?

If you want your children to be tolerant of your quirks, better be tolerant of your mother's. If you want your children to be kind, to be respectful, to call, to visit, to share their lives with you - try treating your own mother that way.

And trashing her over the internet? That's just not right.

3 Comments:

  • Who is trashing their mother? Who am I not reading?

    By Blogger Jen, at 7:32 p.m.  

  • Nobody you'd want to read. I've had a bit of a cold this week, and have been spending some mindless evening hours cruising from link to link to blogs I've never visited before.

    Chris from "Big Yellow House" has some serious, legitimate issues with her mom, who is certifiable - indeed, she was admitted to a psychiatric ward not that long ago, and with a new medication regime, has taken tremendous strides forward. Her mother has treated her abysmally, and yet Chris manages to speak of her mother without gratuitous sneering.

    So many young-mommy bloggers with perfectly nice, supportive, normal mothers, seem to think eye-rolling is the only appropriate accompaniment to any mention of their mothers. As a mother of older children - one who is a young adult already - I'm finding it more and more annoying. I want to scold them: "Stop smirking about your mothers, you ungrateful little whipper-snappers!" ;-)

    But then they'd just smirk and roll their eyes at me!

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 10:05 p.m.  

  • My mother made plenty of mistakes, the biggest one being she never left my father.

    But I know she did the best she knew how, and truthfully, I never knew how much my mother loved me until I had my own children.

    *Now* I get it.

    By Blogger c, at 8:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home