Irreverent Mama

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Spring...
Lordy, but that's a dreary streetscape! Why would she publish that??

If those are your thoughts, you live in milder climes than mine. This, my friend, is what the beginning of Spring looks like here in my bit of Canada.

It's four degrees out there (Celcius, that is; 38F or so for the old school among you). Four degrees at nine in the morning! It's only going to get warmer!! This is balmy. This is sweater weather. I can head out, completely equipped for the weather in waterproof footwear and a down vest over my sweater. The fur-lined coat will languish in the closet today, because it's Spring out there!

It won't last, I know. There will be one or two good snowfalls between here and mid-April -- but it's started! Winter is on its way out!

This picture was taken yesterday, when the damp hung visibly, wet sheets of air. Today it is radiantly sunny. Water pools and forms on the ice, trickles run off onto the bits of street now bare. Water puddles at the curb, runs into the gutter. Water, water, water!

Yesterday, I heard it, and my spirit lifted. The most distinctive sound of spring. Not splashing, not car tires hissing through puddles, not the squelch of mud under your boots. A haunting sound, lonely, wild, windswept, pulsing and echoing in the sky. A sound that causes me yearning and joy in equal measure. Look up, look up. See them?



The geese are back!

2 Comments:

  • And I heard them leaving my parts of the globe on their way back to you.

    That is always a sad sound for me, the leaving of the geese!

    By Blogger c, at 7:36 p.m.  

  • They don't stop here. We're just a stop on their flyway -- but it's such a lovely sound. Always makes me stop and stare. And smile.

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 8:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home