Irreverent Mama

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Some of you have been wondering what's happening here lately. One of you even worried that I'd given up blogging altogether. Not to worry!

I do have a project going, though, in my Real Name. I am going to tell you about the project, but I won't write my name here so as not to draw a certain family member, inveterate busybody with a tendency to moral superiority, and compulsive googler of friends and family, to this blog. However, if you go to Aisledash dot com and look at any of these posts, those are mine (and yes, that's my real name).

It's not an elite venue, I know. It's an entry-level writing job. One might even cynically call it sweatshop writing. Particularly if one knew what it paid. HOWEVER. It is writing, it is writing for pay, and I am loving it.

The reason I'm telling you this is not to brag, but because it's clear I'm going to need SOMEWHERE to talk the occasional weirdnesses over there.

For two weeks, it was calm, quiet, and unexceptional. And then, suddenly, one afternoon someone picked up on my post, "Lingerie for Him". Well, sixty THOUSAND someones. Yes, indeedy. That post got 60,000 hits in about three hours.

And, though I'd written about all sorts of male underwear options, I made a small little joke about the man-thong. (I am a live and let live person in matters of personal attire. Whatever floats yer boat, and all that. But as for me? Personally? I think thongs are a wee bit tacky. There are very, very few men -- or women, for that matter -- who look good in them. And those that do (the men, I'm talking about now) I don't find attractive: no matter how sleek and lovely their asses, they are too full of themselves. Lovely ass ON an ass, as it were.

Now, I'm quite ready to admit that my sample size, from personal experience, of men who might look good in a thong and would actually wear one, is small. But it is MY experience, and all I have to go on. He was a self-absorbed ass. So, my personal feeling is that buff men who'd wear them are self-absorbed asses.

But I said NONE of that in the post. NONE. I just tossed off one frivolous line about them. In a 300-word post outlining various options in masculine undergarments. (Because I am such an expert on the subject, don't you know ... )

WELL.

I could have just written one line: "Man-thongs are tacky", stopped right there and saved myself the effort of the rest of the post. The comments, they came rolling in. Of the 60,000 hits, there were 60 comments. I let about 30 comments stand. The rest were absolutely too ridiculous (or too vile) to post.

We had Rob9 who complained about - and described, in excruciating detail - his manly bits. Then we had VENUS, who offered to give Rob9's sad parts a little encouraging lingual attention. And that just got Man4U so excited that HE COULN'T SOP HISSELF FRUM YELING. (That is pretty much how he expressed himself, though I paraphrase. Strangely, there was ne'er a spelling mistake in any of the many obscene words he used.)

Oh, and we mustn't forget the several homophobes. Nasty, they are. And TruckerDude, who ranted on about how he (a trucker dude) din't wear nothing but his big hairy ass under his kilt. Yes, yes. Thank you for the detail. I shall treasure that mental imagine, indeed I shall.

There were more, but this, I think, suffices to give you a picture. Just imagine these things pouring into your e-mailbox!

I have hereby decided that the collective maturity level of the American public in matters of sex is nine years old.

And, for the record, I was talking about UNDERPANTS. Gawd help me if I ever really talk about sex ...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • Welcome Back, life is allowed to overtake blogging, really.

    But then is blogging allowed to overtake blogging? This is getting confusing.

    Welcome back any way!

    By Blogger The Boy, at 11:07 a.m.  

  • Oooh,err missus! The fun you can have with a little missive! Welcome back! xx

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:30 a.m.  

  • Oh, my. I think I kind of liked the blogging world back when it was mostly literate sorts who involved themselves in it!

    Eh, well. For what it's worth, I *heart* boxer-briefs, but dh can't stand them -- he has tree-trunk thighs, so they're usually too tight.

    By Blogger meanderwithme, at 5:30 p.m.  

  • Boy - if I blog for pay, is that my Real Life? Except here, I talk about Real stuff, and there I just blither about weddings -- pageantry, not real at all. You're right, it IS confusing.

    John - Thanks. Good to be back!

    Alli - You'll note I chose to illustrate the post with a luscious pair of boxer briefs! My faves, too, but they don't really suit my sweetie, so I live without 'em, too. It's called Compromise for Love, right? ;-)

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 9:33 p.m.  

  • Hey, you're still here.

    I wear midways myself. Yup, it's another word for boxer-briefs. Regular boxers are too baggy and plain briefs have a tendancy to ride. It's all about compromise.

    By Blogger 11111111, at 10:50 p.m.  

  • The collective maturity level of the American public in matters of sex is nine years old? I must disagree!

    It's thirteen.

    By Blogger Mary Witzl, at 11:02 a.m.  

  • Denguy - now that's a mental image I can accept with pleasure. Thanks. :-)

    Mary - Thirteen? You think? I suppose there are a lot of 13-year-olds at tat stage. I never tolerated adolescent sniggering about sex from my adolescents. (They could, of course, do it with their friends, but not around mum.) Bawdy laughter, sure. Prurient "oh, that's GROSS" sniggering, no.

    It drive me crazy!

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 1:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home