Irreverent Mama

Sunday, August 26, 2007

FUN MONDAY is being brought to you a day early here at Irreverent Mama, as IM (aka Laura) will be out of town and possibly unable to blog for most of next week.




Lisa wants to know why we blog.
I’d like to know more about you, what makes you tick. I’d like to know how you started blogging. Did you keep a diary under lock and key safely hidden as a child? Do you still? Do you share the same things on your blog that you would have, or do, in your diary? Why did you start blogging and why do you continue? May as well throw in any roadblocks you have run into while blogging. If you still have your old diaries we’d love to see them.


Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I had another blog. It was a great little blog, a fun little read; I had a decent readership and a steady email correspondence with enough of them to keep me busy.

But it wasn't about me, not really. My readers tended to think that was me, and projected all sorts of (generally very flattering) things upon me. Flattering, but limiting, too. It was a work blog, and, as such, showed only a small part of my character, and essentially none of my 'real' life. The person speaking on the blog was a persona.

I wanted to have a place where my real voice could be spoke. One night, when I should have been sleeping, the perfect-for-me blog name popped into my head - and I leaped out of bed to claim it before someone else did. (Geeky, I know. But hell, I don't need to feel foolish for this; you're all bloggers.)

And thus IrreverentMama was born. Here, I do what I want. I don't feel compelled to post daily. I don't feel compelled to interact with my readers. (Though, obviously, I do so - because I feel like it.)

And I say what I want. Oh, there are still things I don't say here - those things go in the password-protected hidden file on my computer. But everything you see here is genuine.

Lisa asks about journalling, which I have done since I could write a sentence (and long before I could spell). For various reasons, I don't have any of my old paper-and-pen journals, but for me, journalling is qualitatively different than blogging, anyway.

So why do I blog? It's a forum for expressing more - but by no means all! - of the genuine me. I enjoy the fact that it's public; I appreciate the possibility of interaction. Blogging is like bumping into congenial strangers at a bus stop or your local pub or in the park - only with blogging, you can come back again and again - or not at all - and maybe some of those congenial strangers evolve into something like friends.

It's a fascinating world, out there in the internets.

:-)

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

  • That was a lovely post. I started after bumping into an article about a blogger in the paper.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:21 p.m.  

  • I like your observation about congenial strangers that evolve into friends. Of course, that happens in the outside world, but it can happen here as well. I am glad that you created a blog more to your liking than the first. Good Work, Irreverent Mama

    By Blogger Molly, at 7:53 p.m.  

  • You were dead right to change your blog to suit you.

    By Blogger Beccy, at 4:58 a.m.  

  • thats the great thing about blogging bumping into fellow bloggers who can become part of your circle of friends

    By Blogger katy, at 6:26 a.m.  

  • Yes...it IS a fascinating world with the internet, and I've met some wonderful people through blogging.
    Great FUN MONDAY!

    My reasons are posted, won't you drop by?

    By Blogger Hootin Anni, at 6:34 a.m.  

  • Jhon - Thank you. I'm not sure how I found out about blogging! I honestly can't remember. But I'm glad I'm here!

    MJD - Thank you. Congenial strangers happen all the time, everywhere. It's one of the things I enjoy most about travelling. Heck, about leaving my front door, most days.

    Beccy - I think so!

    Her indoors - Isn't it great? Non-bloggers sometimes disparage people who have friends 'in the computer', but in fact, a few of my blogging-met friends have crossed that line and become friends in "real" life - and strangely, they're no less "real" than any of my other friends!

    Hootin'anni - Thank you! ("Internets", plural - is a quote, poking a little fun at a certain politician who used the term a while back.)
    Laura

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 8:16 a.m.  

  • I'm glad that not everything you write is in that password protected file. :) I like getting to know how you got your name too. :) So glad you're you!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:26 a.m.  

  • One of the most fun thing about our Mondays is the international participation. I always loved pen-pals as a child, and this seems to be an evolved form of that at times.

    I can't imagine trying to be someone you aren't on your blog...that would be sooo wearying (it's hard enough being me!! lol).

    And, btw, I LIKE your blog title...I can totally relate ;).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:46 p.m.  

  • As much as I love having my real persona on my blog - there are times when I wish I had a super secret anonymous blog so I could write about my in-laws (hee hee)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 p.m.  

  • Although I don't reveal everything on my blog I write as I speak (or so my daughter says- not sure if that was a compliment or not). Getting to know people is a big part of it which I think is why fun monday is so well supported!

    By Blogger ChrisB, at 3:52 p.m.  

  • A place to express yourself is always a good place.

    By Blogger Robocop, at 9:44 p.m.  

  • I've had a blog since January, though I've only known about blogs since the December 2006. I am new to this whole thing. I plan to keep it going for exactly one year.

    Like Robin, I used to love having pen pals, and like Karmyn R, I would love having a more secret identity. For me blogging is like a written version of the ham radio. Remember those? You could be standing in a garage in Los Angeles and suddenly hear the voice of someone in Guam or North Dakota -- or further still. Heady stuff.

    As a child, I kept a journal, into which I wrote everything. This didn't always make for riveting reading. "Got a new can opener" and "Whiskers mated with Black Beauty this morning" (we had dozens of cats) are two of my more memorable entries.

    By Blogger Mary Witzl, at 1:07 p.m.  

  • late I am in reading all the fun monday posts.

    Enjoyed your take on bumping into people.

    Thats exactly how my blogging list of friends has grown.

    I love reading everybody.......

    By Blogger Pamela, at 12:26 a.m.  

  • late I am in reading all the fun monday posts.

    Enjoyed your take on bumping into people.

    Thats exactly how my blogging list of friends has grown.

    I love reading everybody.......

    By Blogger Pamela, at 12:26 a.m.  

  • I guess I loved you twice. ha

    By Blogger Pamela, at 12:27 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home